y enhance anti-cancer effects of 5-Fu in colon cancer cells [64,65].
In prevention pathogenesis of colorectal cancer, adlay bran ethanol extract and residue may inhibit the number of crypt foci premalignant lesion, modify their mucin composition and present a dose-dependent manner . Cistanche deserticola significantly reduced the number of mucosal hyperplasia in Tgfb1Rag2 null mice and correlated with significant stimulation of the immune system, suggested the potential to prevent intestinal inflammation disorders including colorectal cancer . Triptolide may inhibit the colitis-related carcinogenesis of colorectal cancer through downregulation of Rac1 and the JAK/STAT3 pathway .
Current studies suggested, besides conventionally improving clinical syndromes, anti-cancer effects of TCM against colorectal cancer and the conventional chemotherapy drugs share common biological basis (Table 2). Related explores will provide new insight into integrated treatment with TCM and western medicine for colorectal cancer.
Table 2. Effects and target of Chinese herb against colorectal cancer.
TCM has certain advantages in aspects of reducing side effects and enhancing the curative effects of chemotherapy, palliating clinical syndrome, preventing recurrence and metastasis, improving quality of life and immune function, and prolonging survival time in colorectal cancer. However, with the progress of colorectal cancer treatment mode, TCM theories and studies on typing of syndrome differentiation are obviously lagging behind. TCM study on colorectal cancer should fit with the actual clinical practice to give full play to TCM advantages so as to improve clinical curative effects. Anti-cancer herb studies on colorectal cancer indicate that anti-cancer effects of TCM and chemotherapy, targeted therapy and other drug treatments share common biological basis, such as cell apoptosis, cell senescence and autophagy, etc. Current studies still cannot reveal the TCM property of anti-cancer herbs. We need to further study the action basis and compatibility of anti-cancer herbs so as to improve the curative effect of TCM treatment for colorectal cancer.
This work was partially supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (81273726), Program from Science & Technology Commission of Shanghai Municipality (11495801300), Three-year Action Program of Shanghai Municipality for Traditional Chinese Medicine (ZYSNXD-CC-ZDYJ017), Long-Yi Scholars and Research Team Program from State Clinical Research Center of TCM in Longhua Hospital (LYTD-04), Xing-Lin Scholars Program and Key Discipline of State Administration of Traditional Chinese Medicine (Traditional Chinese Medicine in Oncology, LHZLK-1107).
- A. Jemal, F. Bray, M. M. Center, J. Ferlay, E. Ward and D. Forman, “Global Cancer Statistics,” CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, Vol. 61, No. 2, 2011, pp. 69-90. doi:10.3322/caac.20107
- X. R. Wang, X. B. Yuan, P. Li and L. Gao, “The TCM Syndrome Distribution in Colorectal Cancer [Chinese],” Journal of Changchun College of Traditional Chinese Medicine, 2011, Vol. 27, No. 3, 2011, pp. 377-379.
- S. Y. Lin, M. H. Shen, J. Lan and J. N. Shu, “Correlation of TCM Syndrome and Life Span in 780 Colon Cancer Patients [Chinese],” Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Vol. 53, No. 5, 2012, pp. 410-412.
- G. X. Zhao, J. Zheng, Y. Gu and Y. J. Zhu, “Literature Analysis of TCM Syndrome in Colorectal Cancer [Chinese],” Journal of Liaoning University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Vol. 11, No. 6, 2009, pp. 72-74.
- Z. H. Deng and J. Sun, “The Literature Study of Colorectal Cancer in TCM [Chinese],” Journal of Yunnan University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Vol. 34, No. 2, 2011, pp. 54-56.
- X. Q. Jia, H. Z. Qiu, N. J. Huang and G. L. Lin, “A Prospective Study about Colorectal Cancer Syndrome Differentiation and Tumor Invasion and Metastasis [Chinese],” China Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Pharmacy, Vol. 20, No. 6, 2005, pp. 344-346.
- H. Y. Zhao, D. J. Tu, X. Xia and Y. Guo, “Study on TCM Syndrome of Colorectal Carcinoma in Adjuvant Therapy Period on 151 Cases [Chinese],” China Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Pharmacy, Vol. 26, No. 4, 2011, pp. 861-864.
- X. F. Wang, G. D. Li, S. M. Ma, X. Jiao, Z. T. Yin, H. Zhao, J. Y. Hao, D. N. Huang, Z. G. Wang, Y. Yao, X. Q. Li, H. Ren and H. S. Li, “The Study of Distribution, Composition Characteristic and the Rule of Evolution and the Correlation with Pathological Stage of TCM Syndromes of Perioperative Large Intestinal Cancer [Chinese],” Beijing Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, No. 8, 2010, pp. 580-582.
- D. J. Tu, H. Y. Zhao, J. Z. Gu, W. H. Yang and Y. Guo, “Clinical Research on the Changes of TCM Syndroms of 75 Patients with Colorectal Cancer before and after Chemotherapy [Chinese],” Chinese Archives of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Vol. 27, No. 8, 2009, pp. 1678-1680.
- C. Y. Xu, L. N. Li, D. M. Pan and Z. H. Wen, “Retrospective Analysis of TCM Syndrome Types Associated with Adverse Reactions after Chemotherapy Who were Advanced Large Intestine Cancer [Chinese],” Journal of Liaoning University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Vol. 13, No. 9, 2011, pp. 104-106.
- J. A. Liu and Y. H. Zhang, “Effect of Pi-Shen Decoction on the Postoperative with Adverse Reaction of Chemotherapy of 96 Patients with Colorectal Cancer [Chinese],” Hunan Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Vol. 16, No. 2, 2000, pp. 9-10.
- T. S. Mok, W. Yeo, P. J. Johnson, P. Hui, W. M. Ho, K. C. Lam, M. Xu, K. Chak, A. Chan, H. Wong, F. Mo and B. Zee, “A Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Randomized Study of Chinese Herbal Medicine as Complementary Therapy for Reduction of Chemotherapy-Induced Toxicity,” Annals Oncology: Official Journal of the European Society for Medical Oncology/ESMO, Vol. 18, No. 4, 2007, pp. 768-774.
- B. Cao, S. T. Li, Z. Li and W. L. Deng, “Yi-Qi-Zhu-Yu Decoction Combined with FOLFOX-4 as First-Line Therapy in Metastatic Colorectal Cancer,” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, Vol. 17, No. 8, 2011, pp. 593-599. doi:10.1007/s11655-011-0822-z
- L. Tao, Y. J. Zhu, X. M. Lu, Y. Gu, A. G. Zhao, J. Zheng, C. G. Fu and J. K. Yang, “Clinical Study on Survival Benefit for Elderly Patients with Resected Stage II or III Colorectal Cancer Based on Traditional Chinese Medicine Syndrome Differentiation and Treatment,” Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Xue Bao, Vol. 8, No. 12, 2010, pp. 115911- 115964. doi:10.3736/jcim20101208
- R. H. Huang, F. Chen, G. Q. Lao, Z. Y. Shi, J. H. Luo, D. R. Liang and J. J. Chen, “Effect of Jian-Pi-Jie-Du Decoction on the Life Quality of Colorectal Cancer Patients in Advanced Stage [Chinese],” Hebei Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Vol. 33, No. 4, 2011, pp. 494-496.
- Q. C. Liu, D. C. Liu, L. Song, Q. Huang, X. B. Tan and H. Zhong, “Jian-Pi-Yi-Qi Herbs Combined with Chemotherapy in the Treatment for 47 Cases with Advanced [Chinese],” Journal of Oncology, Vol. 15, No. 7, 2009, pp. 665-666.
- G. Wu, G. Yu, J. Li and F. Xiong, “Short Term Therapeutic Effect on Treatment of Postoperational Large Intestine Carcinoma by Fu-Pi-Yi-Wei Decoction Combined with Chemotherapy and Its Effect on Immune Function [Chinese],” Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi, Vol. 35, No. 6, 2010, pp. 782-785.
- J. Ma, G. J. Wang, D. F. Cai, Y. Fan and X. X. Gu, “Clinical Observation of Jian-Pi-Xiao-Liu Decoction in Preventing Postoperative Colorectal Carcinoma Recurrence and Metastasis [Chinese],” Shanghai Journal of Traditional Chinese medicine, Vol. 39, No. 1, 2005, pp. 24-25.
- L. Luo, Y. F. Yang, P. H. Li, Y. Wu, J. W. Zhang, X. W. Wu, S. L. Gao and D. Q. Liu, “Cohort Study on Fu-Zheng Capsule and Qu-Xie Capsule in Reducing Relapse and Metastasis of Cancer in Patients with Stage Ò and Ó Colorectal Carcinoma after Operation [Chinese],” Chinese Journal of Integrated Traditional and Western Medicine, Vol. 26, No. 8, 2006, pp. 677-680.
- Y. F. Yang, J. Z. Ge, Y. Wu, Y. Xu, B. Y. Liang, L. Luo, X. W. Wu, D. Q. Liu, X. Zhang, F. X. Song and Z. Y. Geng, “Cohort Study on the Effect of a Combined Treatment of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Western Medicine on the Relapse and Metastasis of 222 Patients with Stage II and III Colorectal Cancer after Radical Operation,” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, Vol. 14, No. 4, 2008, pp. 251-256. doi:10.1007/s11655-008-0251-9
- M. N. Xiong and L. G. Xiong, “Clinical Observation of Traditional Chinese Medicine Method—Yi-Qi-Jie-Du Combined with Intravenous Drip in Treatment of Advanced Colorectal Cancer [Chinese],” Modern Oncology, Vol. 18, No. 9, 2010, pp. 1839-1840.
- J. L. You and L. Y. Zhou, “Clinical Observation of Zhao’s No. Three Decoction in the Treatment of 105 Patients with Colorectal Cancer [Chinese],” Liaoning Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Vol. 36, No. 8, 2008, pp. 1201-1202.
- X. L. Yin, F. C. Zhao, G. Cai and Y. Li, “Clinical Observation of Spleen-Nourishing Herbs and Chemotherapy in Treating Advanced Colorectal Cancer [Chinese],” Shanghai Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Vol. 45, No. 7, 2011, pp. 43-44.
- B. Z. Hou, X. C. Shu, S. P. Zhou, S. L. Fang and X. L. Li, “Effect of Ai-Di Injection on Basal Immunity Function of Post-Operative Patient with Carcinoma of Colon [Chinese],” Journal of Fourth Military Medical University, Vol. 29, No. 10, 2008, pp. 933-935.
- M. Zhang, “Ai-Di Injection in Combination with FOLFOX4 Regimen for Treatment of Advanced Colorectal Cancer [Chinese],” Chinese Journal of Clinical Oncology and Rehabilitation, Vol. 16, No. 2, 2009, pp. 170-174.
- H. J. Li, L. Dong, S. Y. Fu and Y. Li, “Comparative Study on Treatment of Advanced Colorectal Cancer by Ai-Di Injection Combined with FOLFOX4 Regimen and by FOLFOX4 Regimen Alone [Chinese],” Chinese Journal of Integrative Medicine, Vol. 27, No. 12, 2007, pp. 1086-1089.
- L. Huang, B. Li, Z. W. Hu and P. Z. Guo, “ Effects of Matrine Injection on Immune Functions in Patients with Colorectal Carcinoma Undergoing Chemotherapy after Surgery [Chinese],” Chinese Journal of New Drugs, Vol. 20, No. 6, 2011, pp. 526-528.
- Q. Shi, Z. X. Wang and Q. H. Zhao, “Compound Matrine Injection Combined with FOLFIRI Chemotherapy in the Treatment of 50 Patients with Advanced Colorectal Cancer [Chinese],” Chinese Journal of New Drugs, Vol. 19, No. 17, 2010, pp. 1589-1592.
- D. Long, Y. X. Zhao, Z. Ma, Z. Z. Liu and Q. X. Tan, “Compound Matrine Injection in the Improvement of Life Quality of Patients with Advanced Colorectal Carcinoma in Different Types of Syndromes: A Clinical Study [Chinese],” Evaluation and Analysis of Drug-Use in Hospitals of China, Vol. 10, No. 6, 2010, pp. 552-553.
- B. Xiao, S. D. Cui, C. L. Chen, W. Guo, B. P. Wu, Y. L. Yao, Y. Bai, S. D. Liu, J. D. Wang, T. M. Cheng, L. Lan, Y. L. Zhang, F. C. Zhi, Z. S. Zhang, W. D. Zhang and B. Jiang, “Effect of Chinese Patent Medicine Combined with Chemotherapy on Treating Patients with Colorectal Cancer [Chinese],” Chinese Journal of Integrated Traditional and Western Medicine on Digestion, Vol. 16 No. 3, 2008, pp. 178-181.
- X. R. Jing, J. Chen, M. Min, G. C. Zhong, L. L. Yue, H. Liao and Y. R. Wang, “Clinical Efficacy of Shen-QiFu-Zheng Injection Combined with Chemotherapy on Advanced Colorectal Carcinoma [Chinese],” Modern Oncology, Vol. 115, No. 13, 2007, pp. 382-384.
- Q. L. Liang, D. C. Pan, J. R. Xie, L. Z. Cai, S. J. Li and Q. Yang, “Effect of Shen-Qi-Fu-Zheng Injection Combined with Chemotherapy in Treating Advanced Colorectal Carcinoma [Chinese],” Chinese Journal of Integrated Traditional and Western Medicine, Vol. 29, No. 5, 2009, pp. 439-441.
- M. Yuan, G. L. Huang, Z. G. Li and W. Ding, “Effect of Combined Kui-Er Granule and Chemotherapy on Immunity in Patients with Colorectal Carcinoma Postoperation [Chinese],” China Cancer, Vol. 14, No. 7, 2005, pp. 487-488.
- Y. J. Hai, H. B. Zhou, Y. Zheng, G. K. Zhang, M. Wang, L. Lu, Z. Q. Wang, X. F. Zhao, H. J. Cui and Z. Y. Hao, “Clinical Effect of Kui-Er Granules in Advanced Colorectal Cancer Patients [Chinese],” China Pharmacist, Vol. 15, No. 4, 2012, pp. 519-521.
- X. L. Ling and D. Zhao, “Short Term Efficacy of Combination of Oxaliplatin, Capecitabine and Kang-Lai-Te in the Treatment of Advanced Colorectal Carcinoma [Chinese],” Medical Information, Vol. 24, No. 2, 2011, pp. 377-379.
- J. H. Ran, J. H. Zhang, X. Wang, Q. Guo and J. Yang, “Effect of Kang-Lai-Te on Immunologic Function of Postoperative Patients with Large Intestine Cancer [Chinese],” Chinese Journal of Clinical Oncology and Rehabilitation, Vol. 6, No. 2, 1999, pp. 20-21.
- K. P. Shen, B. Hu, H. Zhang, H. Zhou, X. Gu, C. F. Pan, L. M. Zhu and G. X. Ruan, “Effect of Astragalus Injection Combined with IL-2 to Improve the Immune Function of Patients with Colorectal Carcinoma [Chinese],” Pharmacology and Clinics of Chinese Materia Medica, Vol. 24, No. 2, 2008, pp. 99-101.
- J. L. Lv, J. Y. Sun, N. R. Yu, Y. Yuan, Z. J. Lu and H. Y. Liu, “Effect of Astragalus Polysaccharide on the Prevention of Leukocyte Reduction before Chemotherapy of Colorectal Cancer [Chinese],” Journal of Chinese Medicinal Materials, Vol. 32, No. 1, 2009, pp. 166-168.
- J. Portugal, M. Bataller and S. Mansilla, “Cell Death Pathways in Response to Antitumor Therapy,” Tumori, Vol. 95, No. 4, 2009, pp. 409-421.
- M. V. Chiantore, S. Vannucchi, G. Mangino, Z. A. Percario, E. Affabris, G. Fiorucci and G. Romeo, “Senescence and Cell Death Pathways and Their Role in Cancer Therapeutic Outcome,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, Vol. 16, No. 3, 2009, pp. 287-300. doi:10.2174/092986709787002691
- J. M. Coates, J. M. Galante and R. J. Bold, “Cancer Therapy Beyond Apoptosis: Autophagy and Anoikis as Mechanisms of Cell Death,” The Journal of Surgical Research, Vol. 164, No. 2, 2010, pp. 301-308. doi:10.1016/j.jss.2009.07.011
- B. Hu, K.-P. Shen, H.-M. An, Y. Wu and Q. Du, “Aqueous Extract of Curcuma aromatica Induces Apoptosis and G2/M Arrest in Human Colon Carcinoma LS-174-T Cells Independent of P53,” Cancer Biotherapy and Radiopharmaceuticals, Vol. 26, No. 1, 2011, pp. 97-104. doi:10.1089/cbr.2010.0853
- W. W. Huang, S. W. Ko, H. Y. Tsai, J. G. Chung, J. H. Chiang, K. T. Chen, Y. C. Chen, H. Y. Chen, Y. F. Chen and J. S. Yang, “Cantharidin Induces G2/M Phase Arrest and Apoptosis in Human Colorectal Cancer Colo 205 Cells through Inhibition of CDK1 Activity and Caspase-Dependent Signaling Pathways,” International Journal of Oncology, Vol. 38, No. 4, 2011, pp. 1067-1073.
- Z. Y. Wang, D. M. Wang, T. Y. Loo, Z. Y. Wang, D. M. Wang, T. Y. Loo, Y. Cheng, L. L. Chen, J. G. Shen, D. P. Yang, L. W. Chow, X. Y. Guan and J. P. Chen, “Spatholobus Suberectus Inhibits Cancer Cell Growth by Inducing Apoptosis and Arresting Cell Cycle at G2/M Checkpoint,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, Vol. 133, No. 2, 2011, pp. 751-758. doi:10.1016/j.jep.2010.11.004
- K. C. Lai, Y. J. Chiu , Y. J. Tang, K. L. Lin, J. H. Chiang, Y. L. Jiang, H. F. Jen, Y. H. Kuo, S. Agamaya, J. G. Chung and J. S. Yang, “Houttuynia cordata Thunb Extract Inhibits Cell Growth and Induces Apoptosis in Human Primary Colorectal Cancer Cells,” Anticancer Research, Vol. 30, No. 9, 2010, pp. 3549-3556.
- J. Lin, Y. Chen, L. Wei, X. Chen, W. Xu, Z. Hong, T. J. Sferra and J. Peng, “Hedyotis diffusa Willd Extract Induces Apoptosis via Activation of the Mitochondri-on-Dependent Pathway in Human Colon Carcinoma Cells,” International Journal of Oncology, Vol. 37, No. 5, 2010, pp. 1331-1338.
- V. Milacic, S. Banerjee, K. R. Landis-Piwowar, F. H. Sarkar, A. P. Majumdar and Q. P. Dou, “Curcumin Inhibits the Proteasome Activity in Human Colon Cancer Cells in Vitro and in Vivo,” Cancer Research, Vol. 68, No. 18, 2008, pp. 7283-7292. doi:10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-07-6246
- X. L. Tang, X. Y. Yang, Y. C. Kim, S. Y. Kim, B. D. Kang, D. Y. Choi, O. J. Kim, W. C. Park and H. Park, “Protective Effects of the Ethanolic Extract of Melia Toosendan Fruit against Colon Cancer,” Indian Journal of Biochemistry & Biophysics, Vol. 49, No. 3, 2012, pp. 173-181.
- Q. Cai, J. Lin, L. Wei, L. Zhang, L. Wang, Y. Zhan, J. Zeng, W. Xu, A. Shen, Z. Hong and J. Peng, “ Hedyotis diffusa Willd Inhibits Colorectal Cancer Growth in Vivo via Inhibition of STAT3 Signaling Pathway,” International Journal of Molecular Science, Vol. 13, No. 5, 2012, pp. 6117-6128. doi:10.3390/ijms13056117
- L. T. Wang, S. L. Pan, T. H. Chen, Y. Dong, K. H. Lee and C. M. Teng, “DYZ-2-90, a Novel Neo-Tanshinlactone Ring-Opened Compound, Induces ERK-Mediated Mitotic Arrest and Subsequent Apoptosis by Activating JNK in Human Colorectal Cancer Cells,” Chembiochem: A European Journal of Chemical Biology, Vol. 13, No. 11, 2012, pp. 1663-1672. doi:10.1002/cbic.201200191
- H. M. Lien, H. W. Lin, Y. J. Wang, L. C. Chen, D. Y. Yang, Y. Y. Lai and Y. S. Ho, “Inhibition of Anchorage-Independent Proliferation and G0/G1 Cell-Cycle Regulation in Human Colorectal Carcinoma Cells by 4,7-Dimethoxy-5-Methyl-l,3-Benzodioxole Isolated from the Fruiting Body of Antrodia Camphorate,” EvidenceBased Complementary and Alternative Medicine: ECAM, Vol. 2011.
- P. Maycotte and A. Thorburn, “Autophagy and Cancer Therapy,” Cancer Biology & Therapy, Vol. 11, No. 2, 2011, pp. 127-137. doi:10.4161/cbt.11.2.14627
- C. M. Xie, W. Y. Chan, S. Yu, J. Zhao and C. H. Cheng, “Bufalin Induces Autophagy-Mediated Cell Death in Human Colon Cancer Cells through Reactive Oxygen Species Generation and JNK Activation,” Free Radical Biology & Medicine, Vol. 51, No. 7, 2011, pp. 1365-1375. doi:10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2011.06.016
- A. Thyagarajan, A. Jedinak, H. Nguyen, C. Terry, L. A. Baldridge, J. Jiang and D. Sliva, “Triterpenes from Ganoderma Lucidum Induce Autophagy in Colon Cancer through the Inhibition of p38 Mitogen-Activated Kinase (p38 MAPK),” Nutrition Cancer, Vol. 62, No. 5, 2010, pp. 630-640. doi:10.1080/01635580903532390
- B. Hu, H. M. An and K. P. Shen, “Cellular Senescence and Carcinogenesis,” Chinese Bulletin of Life Sciences, Vol. 20, No. 3, 2008, pp. 447-449.
- J. A. Ewald, J. A. Desotelle, G. Wildin and D. F. Jarrard, “Therapy-Induced Senescence in Cancer,” Journal of National Cancer Institute, Vol. 102, No. 20, 2010, pp. 1536- 1546. doi:10.1093/jnci/djq364
- B. Hu, H. M. An, K. P. Shen and Q. Du, “SenescenceInducing Effects of Chinese Herbal Medicine Tenglong Buzhong Decoction on Human Colon Carcinoma LS- 174-T Cells and the Mechanism,” Journal of Chinese Integrative Medicine, Vol. 8, No. 11, 2010, pp. 1048-1052. doi:10.3736/jcim20101108
- Y. J. Chen, W. M. Chang, Y. W. Liu, C. Y. Lee, Y. H. Jang, C. D. Kuo and H. F. Liao, “ A Small-Molecule Metastasis Inhibitor, Norcantharidin, Downregulates Matrix Metalloproteinase-9 Expression by Inhibiting Sp1 Transcriptional Activity in Colorectal Cancer Cells,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, Vol. 181, No. 3, 2009, pp. 440-446. doi:10.1016/j.cbi.2009.07.004
- J. J. Park, S. M. Seo, E. J. Kim, Y. J. Lee, Y. G. Ko, J. Ha and M. Lee, “Berberine Inhibits Human Colon Cancer Cell Migration via AMP-Activated Protein Kinase-mediated Downregulation of Integrin β1 signaling,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, Vol. 426, No. 4, 2012, pp. 461-467. doi:10.1016/j.bbrc.2012.08.091
-  Z. Yang, C. Li, X. Wang, C. Zhai, Z. Yi, L. Wang, B. Liu, B. Du, H. Wu, X. Guo, M. Liu, D. Li and J. Luo, “Dauricine Induces Apoptosis, Inhibits Proliferation and Invasion through Inhibiting NF-kB Signaling Pathway in Colon Cancer Cells,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, Vol. 225, No. 1, 2010, pp. 266-725. doi:10.1002/jcp.22261
-  S. M. Johnson, X. Wang and B. M. Evers, “Triptolide Inhibits Proliferation and Migration of Colon Cancer Cells by Inhibition of Cell Cycle Regulators and Cytokine Receptors,” Journal of Surgical Research, Vol. 168, No. 2, 2011, pp.197-205. doi:10.1016/j.jss.2009.07.002
-  Z. He, D. Subramaniam, S. Ramalingam, A. Dhar, R. G. Postier, S. Umar, Y. Zhang and S. Anant, “Honokiol Radiosensitizes Colorectal Cancer Cells: Enhanced Activity in Cells with Mismatch Repair Defects,” American Journal of Physiology Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology, Vol. 301, No. 5, 2011, pp. G929-G937. doi:10.1152/ajpgi.00159.2011
-  L.Y. Chen, M. T. Sheu , D. Z. Liu, C. K. Liao, H. O. Ho , W. Y. Kao , Y. S. Ho, W. S. Lee and C. H. Su, “Pretreatment with an Ethanolic Extract of Taiwanofungus Camphoratus (Antrodia camphorata) Enhances the Cytotoxic Effects of Amphotericin B,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, Vol. 59, No. 20, 2011, pp. 11255-11263. doi:10.1021/jf2024215
-  B. C. He, J. L. Gao, B. Q. Zhang, Q. Luo, Q. Shi, S. H. Kim, E. Huang, Y. Gao, K. Yang, E. R. Wagner, L. Wang, N. Tang, J. Luo, X. Liu, M. Li, Y. Bi, J. Shen, G. Luther, N. Hu, Q. Zhou, H. H. Luu, R. C. Haydon, Y. Zhao and T. C. He, “Tetrandrine Inhibits Wnt/β-catenin Signaling and Suppresses Tumor Growth of Human Colorectal Cancer,” Molecular Pharmacology, Vol. 79, No. 2, 2011, pp. 211-219. doi:10.1124/mol.110.068668
-  C. Z. Wang , X. Luo , B. Zhang , W. X. Song, M. Ni , S. Mehendale, J. T. Xie , H. H. Aung, T. C. He and C. S. Yuan, “Notoginseng Enhances Anti-Cancer Effect of 5- Fluorouracil on Human Colorectal Cancer Cells,” Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, Vol. 60, No. 1, 2007, pp. 69-79. doi:10.1007/s00280-006-0350-2
-  S. C. Li, C. M. Chen, S. H. Lin, W. Chiang and C. K. Shih, “Effects of Adlay Bran and Its Ethanolic Extract and Residue on Preneoplastic Lesions of the Colon in Rats,” Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, Vol. 91, No. 3, 2011, pp. 547-552. doi:10.1002/jsfa.4219
-  Y. Jia, Q. Guan, Y. Guo and Du C, “Reduction of Inflammatory Hyperplasia in the Intestine in Colon Cancer-Prone Mice by Water-Extract of Cistanche deserticola,” Phytotherapy Research: PTR, Vol. 26, No. 6, 2012, pp. 812-819.
-  Z. Wang, H. Jin, R. Xu, Q. Mei and D. Fan, “Triptolide Downregulates Rac1 and the JAK/STAT3 Pathway and Inhibits Colitis-Related Colon Cancer Progression,” Experimental & Molecular Medicine, Vol. 41, No. 10, 2009, pp. 717-727. doi:10.3858/emm.2009.41.10.078