i Feniglia”) sandbars.
Summer tourism induces levels of MBAS in lagoon water to increase of almost an order of magnitude in both basins. Recorded higher concentration in Eastern basin than in Western ones reflect the general trend previously observed in this ecosystem for nutrients  as a result of the water circulation management performed from May to October by artificial pumps. In fact fluxes from the Western toward the Eastern basin induce water concentration of chemicals in the latter ones. A statistical relationships between MBAS levels and water salinity (the descriptor selected to trace water evaporation phenomena) is not observed. This is, probably, caused by the contextual effect on MBAS levels of both freshwater discharges inputs and evaporation on MBAS levels. From June to October 2011 (the whole period considered in this study), only seven rainy days were recorded allowing to exclude the occurrence of significant dilution phenomena due to atmospheric precipitations.
Even if LAS represents the principal component of MBAS responsible of toxicological effects, some evidences are reported by the literature concerning toxicity induced by MBAS exposure of aquatic species . MBAS observed fluctuations could represent a synergical factor able to interfere with the documented seasonal and annual fluctuations of phanerogams distribution inside the Orbetello lagoon . Furthermore, wind-driven areosols and foams containing MBAS which could be formed from hot-spot sources could affect riparian vegetation all around the lagoon basin  producing undesiderable effects on local protected species (i.e. Pistacia lentiscus, Phillyrea angustifolia, Salicornietum radicantis, Sarcocornia perennis, Arthrocnemum macrostachium, Arthrocnemetum macrostachyum, Sphenopus divaricatus) whom presence and distribution around the Orbetello lagoon is documented by technical reports .
For these reasons, further studies aimed to evaluate the percentage of LAS contributing to the MBAS levels measured are needed to clarify toxicological aspects related to species distributions inside the lagoon basin.
An aspect of particular concern is linked to chemical factors able to negatively affect phanerogams distribution. In spite of that, results evidence a clear relationsgip between levels measured in correspondence of hot-spot sources of pollution and the summer season due to the tourism exploitation of little houses agglomerates and urban areas not jet collected to the wastewater treatment plant. Studies finalized to correlate observed MBAS levels with aquatic phanerogams distributions within the lagoon will be developed.
Further management actions should be focalized on reducing untreated sources of MBAS in this ecosystem and should include a complete revision of uncontrolled effluents.
Authors are grateful to Carmine De Francesco for organization and performing of sampling activities. A special thank to the Orbetello Pesca Lagunare fishing Society for logistical support. Furthermore, we are grateful to the Nautilus Society (Loc. Trainiti, Vibo Valentia, Italy) for their analytical support in validating acquired data performing inter-calibration exercises.
- M. Renzi, G. Perra, C. Guerranti, E. Franchi and S. Focardi, “Abatement Efficiency of Municipal Wastewater Treatment Plants Using Different Technologies (Orbetello Lagoon, Italy),” International Journal of Enviornment and Health, Vol. 3, No. 1, 2009, pp. 58-70. doi:10.1504/IJENVH.2009.022905
- A. Ludovico, “La Laguna di Orbetello: Studi, Ricerche, Criteri e Modalità di Intervento in Quattro Anni di Gestione Commissariale 2003-2006,” Graffietti Stampati, Montefiascone (VT), 2006.
- I. Corsi and S. Focardi, “Nonylphenols in a Lagoon Environment: p-Nonylphenol and Nonylphenol Ethoxylates in Fish Tissue,” Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, Vol. 68, No. 6, 2002, pp. 908-914. doi:10.1007/s00128-002-0040-7
- F. Bussotti, P. Grossoni and F. Pantani, “The Role of Marine Salt and Surfactants in the Decline of Tyrrhenian Coastal Vegetation in Italy,” Annals of Forest Science, Vol. 52, No. 3, 1995, pp. 251-261. doi:10.1051/forest:19950306
- M. Bucci, E. Ghiara, V. Gorelli, R. Gragnani, G. Izzo, L. Morgana, L. Naviglio and R. Uccelli, “Ecological Conditions in the Orbetello Lagoon and Suggested Actions for Its Restoration,” Science of the Total Environment, Vol. 126, Suppl. 2, 1992, pp. 1179-1188.
- A. Specchiulli, S. Focardi, M. Renzi, T. Scirocco, L. Cilenti, P. Breber and S. Bastianoni, “Environmental Heterogeneity Patterns and Assessment of Trophic Levels in Two Mediterranean Lagoons: Orbetello and Varano, Italy,” Science of the Total Environment, Vol. 402, No. 2-3, 2008, pp. 285-298. doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2008.04.052
- A. Specchiulli, M. Renzi, T. Scirocco, L. Cilenti, M. Florio, P. Breber, S. Focardi and S. Bastianoni, “Comparative Study Based on Sediment Characteristics and Macrobenthic Communities in Two Italian Lagoons,” Environ- mental Monitoring and Assessment, Vol. 160, No. 1, 2010, pp. 237-256. doi:10.1007/s10661-008-0691-x
- C. Lardicci, S. Como, S. Corti and F. Rossi, “Recovery of the Macrozoobenthic Community after Severe Dystrophic Crises in a Mediterranean Coastal Lagoon (Orbetello, Italy),” Marine Pollution Bulletin, Vol. 42, No. 3, 2001, pp. 202-214. doi:10.1016/S0025-326X(00)00144-2
- A. Giovani, E. Mari, A. Specchiulli, L. Cilenti, T. Scirocco, P. Breber, M. Renzi, S. E. Focardi and M. Lenzi, “Factors Affecting Changes in Phanerogam Distribution Patterns of Orbetello Lagoon, Italy,” Transitional Water Bulletin, Vol. 4, No. 1, 2010, pp. 35-52. doi:10.1285/i1825229Xv4n1p35
- J. C. Bradley, “Toxicity of Anionic Surfactants in a Primary Effluent: Identification, Characterization and Removal,” Master’s Thesis, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, 2004. http://hdl.handle.net/2429/15492
- A. J. Underwood, “Beyond BACI: The Detection of Environmental Impact on Populations in the Real, but Variable, World,” Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, Vol. 161, No. 2, 1992, pp. 145-178. doi:10.1016/0022-0981(92)90094-Q
- A. J. Underwood, “The Mechanics of Spatially Replicated Sampling Programs to Detect Environmental Impacts in a Variable World,” Australian Journal of Ecology, Vol. 18, No. 2, 1993, pp. 99-116. doi:10.1111/j.1442-9993.1993.tb00437.x
- L. B. Cecchi, “Experimental Design and Hypothesis Testing in Ecology,” Biologia Marina Mediterranea, Vol. 11, No. 1, 2004, pp. 407-455.
- “ASTM D2330-02 Standard Test Method for Methylene Blue Active Substances,” 2011. http://www.astm.org/Standards/D2330.htm
- A. Cocchi, C. Scoccianti and P. Pacini, “L’ambiente ed il Territorio di Orbetello,” 2005. http://www.comune.orbetello.gr.it/public/pdf/atti/urbanistica/npsorb/allegati/all6/Ambiente_territorio_Orb.pdf